Schönbrunn Palace

AN AUTHENTIC EXPERIENCE OF IMPERIAL HERITAGE

Seal of Schönbrunn Group

Opening times

View all
Schönbrunn Palace
Schönbrunn Palace
9:30 am – 5 pm
Gardens
Gardens
6:30 am – 7 pm

Discover our Tours

View all

Grand Tour

Besides the state rooms and private apartments of the imperial couple you'll also see the precious 18th-century interiors from the time of Maria Theresia.

Rooms><span class= 40 rooms
Duration><span class= 50-60 minutes
Audioguides><span class= Audioguides

Imperial Tour

This tour will give you a picture of the different stylistic eras of the imperial monarchy and the lifes of the palace‘s inhabitants. You will see the state rooms and private apartments of Franz Joseph and Sisi.

Audioguides><span class= Audioguides
Rooms><span class= 22 rooms
Duration><span class= 30-40 minutes

Schönbrunn Group Pass

1 ticket for all Schönbrunn Group attractions!

Audioguides><span class= Audioguides

Sisi Ticket

Three imperial attractions on one ticket: Schönbrunn Palace, the Vienna Furniture Museum and the Vienna Hofburg with the Imperial Apartments and Sisi Museum plus the Imperial Silver Collection – you save 25%!

Rooms><span class= 3 Locations
Audioguides><span class= Audioguides

Classic Pass

5 attractions with 1 ticket: A special package with many advantages: Schönbrunn Palace, Privy Garden, Orangery Garden, Maze and Gloriette

Audioguides><span class= Audioguides

Classic Pass Plus

8 attractions with 1 ticket: A special package with many advantages: Schönbrunn Palace, Schönbrunn Zoo, Privy & Orangery Garden, Maze & Gloriette, Desert Experience & Palm House

Audioguides><span class= Audioguides

Children´s Museum Schönbrunn Palace

Here you can learn lots of interesting facts about the everyday life of the imperial children. How did they dress? How did they greet the emperor and empress?

Combined Ticket: Children´s Museum + Maze

Bring your children and enter into a world of adventure in Schönbrunn Palace; make the most of our new combiticket with a visit to the Children’s Museum Schönbrunn Palace – with Maze and Labyrinth and Labyrinthikon Playground.

Combined Ticket: Children´s Museum + Maze + Zoo

Bring your children and enter into a world of adventure in Schönbrunn Palace; make the most of our new combiticket with a visit to the Children’s Museum Schönbrunn Palace with Maze, Labyrinth, Labyrinthikon Playground & the Schönbrunn Zoo!

Marie TheresiaTorMeidlinger TorHaup ttorHietziger TorMeiereitorHaup ttorMarie TheresiaTorMeidlinger TorHietziger TorMeiereitor
Sc hönbrunner SchlossstraßeTi voligasseGrünbe rgstraßeMarie TheresiaTorMeidlinger TorHaup ttorHietziger TorMeiereitor123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445
1a
3
1b
1
2
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
1
1
2
3
4

Blue Staircase

1a

Herringbone Room

3

Walnut Room

1b

Aide-de-Camp’s Room

1

Guards Room

2

Billiard Room

4

Emperor Franz Joseph’s Study

Ketterl Room

5

Franz Joseph’s Bedroom

6

Western Terrace Cabinet

7

Staircase Cabinet

8

Dressing Room

9

Imperial Couple’s Bedroom

10

Salon of Empress Elisabeth

11

Marie Antoinette Room

12

Children's Room

13

Breakfast Cabinet

14

Yellow Salon

15

Balcony Room

16

Mirrors Room

17

Rosa Rooms

20

Lantern Room

21

Great Gallery

22

Small Gallery

23

East Asian Cabinets

25

Carousel Room

26

Hall of Ceremonies

27

Stallions Room

28

Blue Chinese Salon

29

Vieux Laque Room

30

Napoleon Room

31

Porcelain Room

32

Millions Room

33

Gobelinsalon

34

Archduchess Sophie’s Study

35

Red Salon

36

Eastern Terrace Cabinet

37

Rich Room

38

Study and Salon of Franz Karl

40

Hunting Room

1

Bergl Rooms

2

White-and-Gold Rooms

3

Palace Chapel

4

Children’s Museum Schönbrunn Palace

Great Parterre

Statues in the Great Parterre

Rhea Kybele

Alexander and Olympias

Cincinnatus

Roman Matron

Eurydice

Hesperia and Arethusa

Diana (by J. B. Hagenauer)

Apollo (by J. B. Hagenauer)

Hercules

Monument for Philipp Franz Siebold

Franz Stephan

Joseph II

The Family Monument

Maze

Neptune Fountain

Gloriette

Small Gloriette

Obelisk Fountain

Roman Ruin

Schönbrunner Bad

Columbary

Fair Spring

Angel Fountain

Parade Court Fountains

Naiad Fountains

Privy Garden

Orangery

Apothekertrakt

Carriage Museum

Zoo

Palm House

Desert House

Palm House Garden and Botanic Garden

Panoramabahn

Original Viennese strudel show

Marionette Theatre at Schönbrunn Palace

Schoenbrunn Palace Concerts

Schlosstheater Schönbrunn

ORANG.erie

Austria Trend Hotels

Restaurant in the Schönbrunnerbad

Café Restaurant Residenz & Court Bakery

Café Gloriette

Gasthaus Tirolergarten

Café Restaurant Kaiserpavillon

Restaurant Kutscher G'wölb

Landtmann's Jausen Station

Landtmann's Parkcafé

Schönbrunner Schlosscafé

Schönbrunner Stöckl

Naiad Fountains

Eis Greissler

Great Parterre

In keeping with the principles of Baroque horticultural design, gardens were an expression of a ruler’s status and as such were as a rule related to the architecture of the palace, being an extension of its magnificent interiors.

Statues in the Great Parterre

When the hill at Schönbrunn was landscaped it was decided to redesign the Great Parterre at the same time.

Rhea Kybele

Also the boskets were decorated with statues by Christian Willhelm Beyer and Johann Baptist Hagenauer.

Alexander and Olympias

Also the boskets were decorated with statues by Christian Willhelm Beyer and Johann Baptist Hagenauer.

Cincinnatus

Also the boskets were decorated with statues by Christian Willhelm Beyer and Johann Baptist Hagenauer.

Roman Matron

Also the boskets were decorated with statues by Christian Willhelm Beyer and Johann Baptist Hagenauer.

Eurydice

Also the boskets were decorated with statues by Christian Willhelm Beyer and Johann Baptist Hagenauer.

Hesperia and Arethusa

Also the boskets were decorated with statues by Christian Willhelm Beyer and Johann Baptist Hagenauer.

Diana (by J. B. Hagenauer)

Also the boskets were decorated with statues by Christian Willhelm Beyer and Johann Baptist Hagenauer.

Apollo (by J. B. Hagenauer)

Also the boskets were decorated with statues by Christian Willhelm Beyer and Johann Baptist Hagenauer.

Hercules

Also the boskets were decorated with statues by Christian Willhelm Beyer and Johann Baptist Hagenauer.

Monument for Philipp Franz Siebold

The base displays a portrait of Siebold.

Franz Stephan

One year after the sudden death of Franz Stephan in 1765, Maria Theresa commissioned a bronze bust of her much-loved husband.

Joseph II

In 1810 a monument was erected to Joseph II.

The Family Monument

Commissioned from Franz Thaler in 1802.

Maze

The Maze at Schönbrunn was laid out around 1720 and originally had four quadrants with a central (probably elevated) pavilion.

Neptune Fountain

Designed as the crowning element of the Great Parterre, and sited at the foot of the hill behind the palace is the Neptune Fountain, which was conceived as part of the overall design of the gardens and park commissioned by Maria Theresa in the 1770s.

Gloriette

The Early Classicistic colonnaded Gloriette was built to Hohenberg's designs on the crest of the hill in 1775.

Small Gloriette

Situated in the middle of the woods on Schönbrunn Hill near the Maria Theresa Gate lies the Small Gloriette, a tower-like two storeyed pavilion built around 1775, probably to designs by Isidor Canevale.

Obelisk Fountain

Also situated at the foot of Schönbrunn Hill, the Obelisk Fountain constitutes the visual focus at the end of the eastern diagonal avenue, and together with the Gloriette and the Zoo is one of the most important focal points in the gardens.

Roman Ruin

Originally called the Ruin of Carthage, the Roman Ruin stands at the foot of the wooded slopes of Schönbrunn Hill.

Schönbrunner Bad

www.schoenbrunnerbad.at

Columbary

Built at some time between 1750 and 1776, the Columbary or dovecote is a tall, circular aviary constructed of wire mesh with a dome-like copper roof crowned by a lantern-like structure. Four walled alcoves were added to provide the doves with roosting space.

Fair Spring

Tucked into the corner of a hedged walk on the Meidling (east) side of the park is the Fair Spring. The first well house on this site is thought to have been built by the court gardener Adrian van Steckhoven, but this was replaced by a new structure designed by court architect Isidor Canevale in 1771.

Angel Fountain

The Angel Fountain is probably one of the sculptural features with which the park as a whole was provided around 1777.

Parade Court Fountains

The group of figures in the western basin were made by Franz Anton Zauner and represent the rivers Danube, Inn and Enns.

Naiad Fountains

At the intersection of each of the two stelliform systems of avenues on either side of the park at Schönbrunn is a rondeau or circular open space containing at its centre a pool with sculptural figures known as the Naiad Fountain.

Privy Garden

Meidling Privy Gardens: Crown Prince Garden and the Garden on the Cellar - Dating to around 1745/50, the plans for the laying out of the Meidling Privy Gardens were probably drawn up by the Lotharingian garden designer Louis Gervais.

Orangery

As far back as the time of the dowager empress Wilhelmine Amalie an orangery garden was established at Schönbrunn which included a hothouse for overwintering the tender citrus trees. In 1754 Franz I Stephan instigated the building of the Orangery by Nikolaus Pacassi, probably to designs by Nicolas Jadot.

Apothekertrakt

to Apothekertrakt

Carriage Museum

In 1922 the most important part of the collection of carriages used by the imperial family and Viennese court, including state coaches, ceremonial and gala carriages, sleighs and sedan chairs, was transferred from the imperial court stables at the Vienna Hofburg (part of today’s Museumsquartier) to Schönbrunn and housed in the former winter riding school which had been specially adapted for this purpose.

Zoo

Like the Dutch Botanical Garden at Schönbrunn, the Menagerie was originally founded by Emperor Franz I Stephan, who had a profound interest in natural history.

Palm House

The Palm House is located on the site of the former Dutch Botanical Garden and was erected in 1881/2 to designs by Franz Xaver Segenschmid.

Desert House

Emperor Franz Joseph I commissioned a hothouse based on designs by the architect Alfons Custodis for the overwintering of his extensive and extremely valuable ‘New Holland Collection’, mainly containing botanical specimens from Australia and South Africa.

Palm House Garden and Botanic Garden

In 1753, Maria Theresa’s husband, Emperor Franz I Stephan, who was a keen amateur natural scientist, bought a neglected enclosed field from the neighbouring village of Hietzing, on which he had a ‘Dutch Botanical Garden’ laid out.

Panoramabahn

to the Panoramabahn

Original Viennese strudel show

Original Wiener Strudelshow

Marionette Theatre at Schönbrunn Palace

Two-and-a-half centuries of tradition meet state-of-the-art stagecraft: enjoy princely entertainment like at the court of Empress Maria Theresa, performed with priceless hand-crafted figures.

The playing technique of this theatre has been added to the UNESCO list of Intangible Cultural Heritage. Performances take place all year round as full-length evening productions for adults: see Mozart’s Magic Flute in a humorous production with that special Viennese charm, or the thrilling musical Sisi’s Secret about the legendary Empress Elisabeth.

www.marionettentheater.at

Schoenbrunn Palace Concerts

Daily at 8.30 pm

The Schoenbrunn Palace Orchestra awaits you at the Palace Orangery where Mozart himself performed in 1786. The concert is a fine selection of masterful music by Mozart and Strauss, rounded off by dance and vocal performances.

Exclusive packages with palace tour, dinner & concert available.

Book here: www.imagevienna.com

Schlosstheater Schönbrunn

to Schlosstheater Schönbrunn

ORANG.erie

to ORANG.erie

Austria Trend Hotels

In a imperial setting with a spacious 167 m² at their disposal, guests can wine and dine like an emperor and bed down like a princess. A project that is unique throughout Europe has come to life in the suite in Schönbrunn Palace. In partnership with Austra Trend Hotels Schönbrunn Palace gives you the chance to stay overnight in one of the most famous treasures of Austria’s cultural heritage.

Reservations:

Schloß Schönbrunn Suite, Austria Trend Hotels

Tel. +43 1 878 04
thesuite.at
office@austria-trend.at

Restaurant in the Schönbrunnerbad

Schönbrunner Schlosspark 1, 1130 Wien

Tel.: +43 1 8175353

www.luvbeachclub.com

Café Restaurant Residenz & Court Bakery

Welcome to Café Residenz and the Court Bakery!
Experience imperial hospitality at Schönbrunn Palace.

Schloß Schönbrunn / Kavalierstrakt, 1130 Wien

Tel.: +43 1 24 100-312
Fax: +43 1 24 100-319

residenz@cafe-wien.at
www.cafe-residenz.at

Café Gloriette

Schlosspark Schönbrunn, 1130 Wien

Tel.: +43 1 879 13 11
Fax: +43 1 879 13 11-11

office@gloriette-cafe.at
www.gloriette-cafe.at

Gasthaus Tirolergarten

Schlosspark Schönbrunn, 1130 Wien

Tel.: +43 1 879 3556-20
Fax: +43 1 879 3556-52

office@zoovienna-gastro.at
www.gasthaustirolergarten.at

Café Restaurant Kaiserpavillon

Maxingstraße 13 b, 1130 Wien

Tel.: +43 1 879 3556-10
Fax: +43 1 879 3556-12

office@zoovienna-gastro.at
www.zoovienna-gastro.at

Restaurant Kutscher G'wölb

Schloß Schönbrunn / Hausdienergang, 1130 Wien

Tel.: +43 1 877 22 16 12

restaurant@steinmetz-gastro.at
www.kutschergwoelb.at

Landtmann's Jausen Station

The Hideaway at Schönbrunn

www.landtmann-jausenstation.at

Landtmann's Parkcafé

Welcome to Landtmann’s Parkcafé! The summer café in the gardens of Schönbrunn Palace. Beside the Neptune Fountain (closed during the winter).

Tel.: +43 1 24 100-720
Fax: +43 1 24 100-319

www.landtmann-parkcafe.at

Schönbrunner Schlosscafé

Welcome to Schönbrunner Schloßcafé!
At Gardetrakt

Apart from specialty coffees and teas we serve various types of breakfast (available all day) as well as a wide range of typical Viennese cakes, pastries and hot snacks. A special attraction is our outdoor seating area with its magnificent view of Schönbrunn Palace.

Schönbrunner Schloßstraße 47, 1130 Vienna

Tel.: +43 1 810 3259
Fax: +43 1 810 3259

cafe.schoenbrunn@lagardere-tr.at

We do not accept reservations. For opening hours please call Schönbrunner Schloßcafé.

Schönbrunner Stöckl

Restaurant and Dinnertheatre

at the Meidling Gate

Tel.: +43 (0) 660 63 63 200

office@trojani.com
www.schoenbrunnerstoeckl.com
www.dinnertheater.wien

From July - September Summerstage with live music- free entrance

Friday & Saturday from 5 p.m // Sunday from 1 p.m.

Fountains

At the intersection of each of the two stelliform systems of avenues on either side of the park at Schönbrunn is a rondeau or circular open space containing at its centre a pool with sculptural figures known as the Naiad Fountain.

Bergl Rooms

As she grew older, Maria Theresa increasingly suffered from the heat during the summer months. In the last ten years of her life she therefore had a suite furnished for herself on the ground floor of the palace at Schönbrunn, facing the gardens.

White-and-Gold Rooms

These rooms with their unforgettable flair provide the perfect setting for special events.

Palace Chapel

The palace chapel at Schönbrunn still retains the original spatial structure and architectural arrangement given to it by the architect Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach (ca 1700).

Children’s Museum Schönbrunn Palace

Find out the difference between imperial children and children from ordinary families by using our time wheel. You can play with toys that were used in those days, learn the fascinating secret language of fans, and set the table for an imperial dinner!

Blue Staircase

Originally the dining room of the hunting lodge built for Joseph I, the Blue Staircase was remodelled by Nikolaus Pacassi around 1745 into a ceremonial stairway when it was converted into a residential and family palace for Maria Theresa.

Herringbone Room

The tour of the piano nobile starts with the Herringbone Room (on the right at the top of the Blue Staircase).

Walnut Room

The Walnut Room was furnished with the wooden panelling that gives it its name as an audience room for Joseph II around 1765, when he became co-regent with his mother, Maria Theresa.

Aide-de-Camp’s Room

During the reign of Emperor Franz Joseph (and possibly earlier) an Aide-de-Camp’s Room was set up immediately before the monarch’s apartments on the piano nobile of the palace.

Guards Room

Emperor Franz Joseph’s guards were posted in this room in order to protect the entrance to his private apartments.

Billiard Room

The Billiard Room is the first in the suite comprising the audience rooms and private apartments of Franz Joseph. These rooms still have their original decoration and furnishings, most of which date from the second half of the nineteenth century.

Emperor Franz Joseph’s Study

The plain, rather modest furnishings in Franz Joseph’s study provide a complete contrast to the imposing décor of the Audience Chamber.

Ketterl Room

The concealed door at the back of the room leads into the closet of the emperor’s personal valet-de-chambre, Eugen Ketterl.

Franz Joseph’s Bedroom

The emperor’s day began in his bedroom and followed a strict timetable.

Western Terrace Cabinet

The Western Terrace Cabinet leads into the apartments of Empress Elisabeth.

Staircase Cabinet

The Staircase Cabinet served Elisabeth as a study. Here she wrote letters and composed her diaries as well as her poetry.

Dressing Room

At Schönbrunn, as in other imperial court residences, Elisabeth had her own dressing room.

Imperial Couple’s Bedroom

This bedroom was furnished for the imperial couple on their marriage in 1854 in the Rococo Revival or ‘Blondel’ style with rosewood furniture made by the company of Schweigard & Abermann.

Salon of Empress Elisabeth

The salon where the empress received her visitors was also refurbished in 1854 in Rococo Revival style with its typical white-and-gold panelling and matching furniture.

Marie Antoinette Room

During Elisabeth’s time this room served as a dining room. The table is laid for a family dinner with Viennese porcelain, Viennese court silverware made by the company of Mayerhofer & Klinkosch, and prism-cut lead crystal glasses made by Lobmeyr & Co.

Children's Room

A typical Rococo Revival salon and formerly part of Empress Elisabeth’s apartments, this room today provides the setting for the famous likenesses of Maria Theresa’s daughters.

Breakfast Cabinet

Set into the white-and-gold panelling of the Breakfast Cabinet are framed floral medallions, which according to an entry made in the journal of Count Zinzendorf, who visited Schönbrunn in 1761, were made by Elisabeth Christine, the mother of Maria Theresa.

Yellow Salon

The Yellow Salon is the first room in the apartments that face the gardens. It underwent several refurbishments during the course of the palace’s history, eventually ending up decorated in the Rococo Revival style of the second half of the nineteenth century.

Balcony Room

The paintings in the Balcony Room were executed by the court painter Martin van Meytens and show some of Maria Theresa’s children.

Mirrors Room

With its magnificent white-and-gold Rococo décor and the crystal mirrors that give this room its name, the Mirrors Room is a typical example of a state room from the era of Maria Theresa.

Rosa Rooms

Created as a unit comprising one large and two small rooms in the 1760s, the following three rooms are named after the artist Joseph Rosa, who executed fifteen landscape paintings for the ensemble at the behest of Maria Theresa.

Lantern Room

Before electric lighting was installed in the palace the lantern-bearers used to wait in this room. Their task was to light the way of the imperial family or members of the court household after dark. The room is also remarkable for the marble door panelling dating from the time of Joseph I.

Great Gallery

Over forty metres long and almost ten metres wide, the Great Gallery provided the ideal setting for court functions. From the mid-eighteenth century onwards, it was used for balls, receptions and as a banqueting hall.

Small Gallery

Built at the same time as the Great Gallery, the Small Gallery was used for minor family celebrations during the reign of Maria Theresa.

East Asian Cabinets

Around 1755/60 the two cabinets were appointed with precious chinoiserie furnishings and decoration, testifying tot he predilection and admiration for the lacquerwork, silk wall hangings and porcelain from China and Japan that started in the early eighteenth century and had increasingly influence on styles of interior decoration in the princely palaces of Europe

Carousel Room

The Carousel Room served as the antechamber to the apartments of Maria Theresa and Franz Stephan of Lorraine in the East Wing of the palace.

Hall of Ceremonies

The Hall of Ceremonies served not only as the second or Large Antechamber to Emperor Franz Stephan’s apartments but also as a ceremonial hall for family celebrations such as christenings, name-days and birthdays, weddings of members of the court household who were of noble birth, and for court banquets.

Stallions Room

The Stallions Room was used as a dining room during the nineteenth century. Displayed here today is the so-called Marshal’s Table, a festively decorated table set for a dinner of the highest-ranking military officers and court officials, who dined without the emperor, as was customary in Franz Joseph’s time.

Blue Staircase

Originally the dining room of the hunting lodge built for Joseph I, the Blue Staircase was remodelled by Nikolaus Pacassi around 1745 into a ceremonial stairway when it was converted into a residential and family palace for Maria Theresa.

Herringbone Room

The tour of the piano nobile starts with the Herringbone Room (on the right at the top of the Blue Staircase).

Walnut Room

The Walnut Room was furnished with the wooden panelling that gives it its name as an audience room for Joseph II around 1765, when he became co-regent with his mother, Maria Theresa.

Aide-de-Camp’s Room

During the reign of Emperor Franz Joseph (and possibly earlier) an Aide-de-Camp’s Room was set up immediately before the monarch’s apartments on the piano nobile of the palace.

Guards Room

Emperor Franz Joseph’s guards were posted in this room in order to protect the entrance to his private apartments.

Billiard Room

The Billiard Room is the first in the suite comprising the audience rooms and private apartments of Franz Joseph. These rooms still have their original decoration and furnishings, most of which date from the second half of the nineteenth century.

Emperor Franz Joseph’s Study

The plain, rather modest furnishings in Franz Joseph’s study provide a complete contrast to the imposing décor of the Audience Chamber.

Ketterl Room

The concealed door at the back of the room leads into the closet of the emperor’s personal valet-de-chambre, Eugen Ketterl.

Franz Joseph’s Bedroom

The emperor’s day began in his bedroom and followed a strict timetable.

Western Terrace Cabinet

The Western Terrace Cabinet leads into the apartments of Empress Elisabeth.

Staircase Cabinet

The Staircase Cabinet served Elisabeth as a study. Here she wrote letters and composed her diaries as well as her poetry.

Dressing Room

At Schönbrunn, as in other imperial court residences, Elisabeth had her own dressing room.

Imperial Couple’s Bedroom

This bedroom was furnished for the imperial couple on their marriage in 1854 in the Rococo Revival or ‘Blondel’ style with rosewood furniture made by the company of Schweigard & Abermann.

Salon of Empress Elisabeth

The salon where the empress received her visitors was also refurbished in 1854 in Rococo Revival style with its typical white-and-gold panelling and matching furniture.

Marie Antoinette Room

During Elisabeth’s time this room served as a dining room. The table is laid for a family dinner with Viennese porcelain, Viennese court silverware made by the company of Mayerhofer & Klinkosch, and prism-cut lead crystal glasses made by Lobmeyr & Co.

Children's Room

A typical Rococo Revival salon and formerly part of Empress Elisabeth’s apartments, this room today provides the setting for the famous likenesses of Maria Theresa’s daughters.

Breakfast Cabinet

Set into the white-and-gold panelling of the Breakfast Cabinet are framed floral medallions, which according to an entry made in the journal of Count Zinzendorf, who visited Schönbrunn in 1761, were made by Elisabeth Christine, the mother of Maria Theresa.

Yellow Salon

The Yellow Salon is the first room in the apartments that face the gardens. It underwent several refurbishments during the course of the palace’s history, eventually ending up decorated in the Rococo Revival style of the second half of the nineteenth century.

Balcony Room

The paintings in the Balcony Room were executed by the court painter Martin van Meytens and show some of Maria Theresa’s children.

Mirrors Room

With its magnificent white-and-gold Rococo décor and the crystal mirrors that give this room its name, the Mirrors Room is a typical example of a state room from the era of Maria Theresa.

Rosa Rooms

Created as a unit comprising one large and two small rooms in the 1760s, the following three rooms are named after the artist Joseph Rosa, who executed fifteen landscape paintings for the ensemble at the behest of Maria Theresa.

Lantern Room

Before electric lighting was installed in the palace the lantern-bearers used to wait in this room. Their task was to light the way of the imperial family or members of the court household after dark. The room is also remarkable for the marble door panelling dating from the time of Joseph I.

Great Gallery

Over forty metres long and almost ten metres wide, the Great Gallery provided the ideal setting for court functions. From the mid-eighteenth century onwards, it was used for balls, receptions and as a banqueting hall.

Small Gallery

Built at the same time as the Great Gallery, the Small Gallery was used for minor family celebrations during the reign of Maria Theresa.

East Asian Cabinets

Around 1755/60 the two cabinets were appointed with precious chinoiserie furnishings and decoration, testifying tot he predilection and admiration for the lacquerwork, silk wall hangings and porcelain from China and Japan that started in the early eighteenth century and had increasingly influence on styles of interior decoration in the princely palaces of Europe

Carousel Room

The Carousel Room served as the antechamber to the apartments of Maria Theresa and Franz Stephan of Lorraine in the East Wing of the palace.

Hall of Ceremonies

The Hall of Ceremonies served not only as the second or Large Antechamber to Emperor Franz Stephan’s apartments but also as a ceremonial hall for family celebrations such as christenings, name-days and birthdays, weddings of members of the court household who were of noble birth, and for court banquets.

Stallions Room

The Stallions Room was used as a dining room during the nineteenth century. Displayed here today is the so-called Marshal’s Table, a festively decorated table set for a dinner of the highest-ranking military officers and court officials, who dined without the emperor, as was customary in Franz Joseph’s time.

Blue Chinese Salon

The Blue Chinese Salon once served as the council chamber of Emperor Franz I Stephan. The Chinese paper wall-hangings with floral motifs on a yellow ground that give the room its name probably date from that time, as does the walnut panelling.

Vieux Laque Room

The Vieux Laque Room was the private study of Franz Stephan. Following his sudden death in 1765 Maria Theresa had it remodelled as a memorial room to her beloved husband.

Napoleon Room

Today known as the Napoleon Room, this was previously the bedroom shared by Franz Stephan and Maria Theresa from 1746. During the nineteenth century it was refurbished several times, as revealed by restoration work carried out in 2007.

Porcelain Room

The décor of the Porcelain Room as it appears today dates back to 1763, when the room was used by Maria Theresa as her study. A typical example of chinoiserie, the painted wood panelling and the carved blue and white framing were intended to imitate porcelain, which was highly prized in the eighteenth century.

Millions Room

The Millions Room was given its name on account of the precious wall panelling made from an exotic type of tropical rosewood that was called ‘Fekatin’ or ‘Vicatin’.

Gobelinsalon

The room known as the Gobelin Salon belonged to the apartments occupied from 1837 to 1873 by Franz Joseph’s parents, serving Archduke Franz Karl, Emperor Ferdinand’s younger brother, and his wife, Sophie, as a drawing-room. Hung with a selection of formal family portraits, it was furnished in the Biedermeier style.

Archduchess Sophie’s Study

This room was furnished for Franz Joseph’s mother.

Red Salon

Now decorated with white-and-gold panelling and red court damask wall hangings, the Red Salon served as a clothes cabinet during the era of Maria Theresa. According to the inventory taken in 1812, the built-in cupboards were used as library cabinets and dismantled a century later in 1914.

Eastern Terrace Cabinet

Also known from 1775 as the Flower Cabinet on account of the garlands of flowers painted on its walls, the Eastern Terrace Cabinet lies on the Parade Court side of the palace and enabled the imperial family to gain access to a terrace above the arcades that enclose the Parade Court.

Rich Room

Until recently it was thought that Emperor Franz Joseph was born in this room in 1830.

Study and Salon of Franz Karl

This room together with the adjoining salon was occupied by Archduke Franz Karl, the father of Emperor Franz Joseph, from 1835 to 1878.

Hunting Room

The Hunting Room is the final room in the tour of the palace on the piano nobile and evokes Schönbrunn’s former role as a hunting lodge.

News

More about Schönbrunn

More imperial locations

Where the Baroque comes to life for the whole family

Feeling Sisi’s aura as a living experience

Design trip through time from the Baroque era and through to art nouveau and the present

Schönbrunn Palace Mobile App

Schönbrunn

Mobile App