Skip to content


Study and Salon of Franz Karl


Study and Salon of Franz Karl(c) SKB Foto: Alexander Eugen Koller

This room together with the adjoining salon was occupied by Archduke Franz Karl, the father of Emperor Franz Joseph, from 1835 to 1878. After his death these rooms were refurbished in the white, gold and red scheme typical of the Viennese court, with white-and-gold panelling and wall hangings of red court damask. From then until the end of the Monarchy they served as official reception rooms.

The paintings that hang in the former study bring us back to the time of Maria Theresa one last time. The famous family portrait by Martin
van Meytens and his studio shows Emperor Franz Stephan, Maria Theresa and eleven of their sixteen offspring on the terrace at Schönbrunn.

Other paintings in this room show Elisabeth Christine, Maria Theresa’s mother, her sister Maria Anna and her husband Alexander of Lorraine, who was also the
brother of Franz Stephan, and Countess Fuchs, Maria Theresa’s governess.

The watercolours and gouaches on display here – including the well-known scenes of the imperial family celebrating the Feast of St Nicholas, and Joseph visiting his
beloved spouse Isabella at her lying-in after the birth of their daughter – were painted by Maria Theresa’s children and sons- and daughters-in-law. Most of them were
executed by Marie Christine, probably the imperial couple’s most artistically talented daughter.

 


Salon of Archduke Franz Karl - Restoration work

This salon was part of the suite occupied by Archduke Franz Karl, father of Emperor Franz Joseph, up to his death in 1878. The room was refurbished two years later, during the course of which the walls above the low white-and-gold panelling were hung with silk damask in the typical pattern of the imperial court. The room was furnished with the white-and-gold furniture deemed appropriate to its use as a Viennese court reception room. The furnishings include several seating groups and console tables as well as large-format portraits of some of Maria Theresa’s children. The current programme of restoration based on the historical scheme from 1880 includes the hanging of the walls with a reconstruction of the original court damask together with the restoration of the white-and-gold painted panelling, window surrounds and the cornices of the stucco ceiling. Work is scheduled to be completed by the end of Autumn 2018. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Back to main navigation

This website uses cookies in order to be able to offer our visitors the best possible service.
By using this website you express your agreement to the use of cookies. For further information: Data Privacy Statement