The green wallpaper with printed leaf decoration exposed during the planning stage of refurbishing this room to museum standards dates
from the time around 1830, when this room served as Ferdinand and Maria Anna’s bedroom.
Exhibited in this room today is the only surviving bed of state from the Viennese court. Completed at the time of Maria Theresa’s marriage, it was originally
set up in the empress’s apartments in the Leopoldine Wing of the Vienna Hofburg. The sumptuous bed with its hangings of red velvet embroidered in gold thread has matching
wall hangings with embroidered architectural elements. Until 1947 the bed stood in the so-called Rich Room of the Hofburg, but was dismantled and put into storage when
this part of the Hofburg became the office of the Federal President of Austria. It was reassembled and set up at Schönbrunn for a temporary exhibition about Maria Theresa in 1980.
Just under twenty years later it underwent complete restoration and the room was redesigned as a kind of museum display case in order to afford this
important but highly fragile textile ensemble the greatest possible protection.