Several times a week Emperor Franz Joseph received the members of his government and high-ranking military staff.
The billiard table dates from the time of Emperor Ferdinand and is first mentioned in the palace inventory of 1830.
The three large paintings portray scenes connected with the Order of Maria Theresa.
The central painting depicts the foundation ceremony of the order in 1757, at which Count Joseph von Daun, commander-in-chief of the Austrian army, became its very first recipient.
The two paintings flanking it record the celebrations held to mark the centenary of the order’s foundation: a festive banquet in the Great Gallery at Schönbrunn and a banquet in the gardens.