The gardens and park at Schönbrunn during the 19th century

In the nineteenth century the gardens on the western side were landscaped in the English style in keeping with the current fashions in horticultural design.

The gardens and park at Schönbrunn during the 19th century

In order to accommodate the imperial family’s extensive botanical collections, the Dutch Botanical Garden with its hothouses established by Franz Stephan in 1753 was expanded with a further hothouse sited near the present-day Botanic Garden. Franz Stephan’s Dutch Botanical Garden was later cleared when the monumental glass construction of the Great Palm House was erected from 1880 to 1882. The gardens surrounding it were also landscaped at the same time. Not far away, erected in 1904 as the last building to be commissioned by the imperial family, is the Sundial House, which was originally intended to house the so-called New Holland Collection and which today – renamed as the Desert House – contains various examples from the valuable collection of succulents.en.

Sisi Shop

Literature to Schönbrunn gardens

  • Hajos, Beatrix. Die Schönbrunner Schloßgärten. Eine topographisceh Kulturgeschichte. Wien-Köln-Weimar 1995
  • Hajos, Beatrix. Schönbrunner Statuen. 1773 bis 1780. Ein neues Rom in Wien. Wien-Köln-Weimar 2004
  • Kurdiovsky. Die Gärten von Schönbrunn. Ein Spaziergang durch einen der bedeutendsten Barockgärten Europas. St. Pölten-Salzburg-Wien 2005
  • Iby, Elfriede. Schönbrunner Schloßpark. Überarbeitete Auflage. Wien 2010
Schönbrunn Palace Mobile App

Schönbrunn

Mobile App