Privy Garden

Tour through the park

Meidling Privy Gardens: Crown Prince Garden and the Garden on the Cellar - Dating to around 1745/50, the plans for the laying out of the Meidling Privy Gardens were probably drawn up by the Lotharingian garden designer Louis Gervais.

One of these of plans shows four sections placed along a central axis, a basic structure that was simplified in a number of aspects during the nineteenth century.

Privy Garden

On the eastern façade of the palace lies a sunken area with parterre sections edged with beds which has been known as the Crown Prince Garden since 1865. As it is sheltered from the wind, during the summer months specimens from the valuable collection of citrus trees belonging to the Austrian Federal Gardens Authority are placed here in tubs.

Adjoining the Crown Prince Garden is the Garden on the Cellar, its rather curious name deriving from its elevated site above the cellars, which were probably built around 1700 and still exist today. This part of the garden is bordered by a horseshoe-shaped pergola incorporating five trelliswork pavilions. The central pavilion at the mid-point of the horseshoe was demolished in 1950 and replaced by a modern pavilion with a viewing platform based on the original model in 2001.

Erected around 1750, these filigree pavilions are of lath construction and elaborately carved. It is possible that the painter Johann Wenzel Bergl used them as inspiration for the murals he created in the garden apartments of Maria Theresa on the ground floor of the palace twenty years later. Around 1770 the trellis-work of the pergola was replaced by a considerably more weatherproof iron construction which was planted with Virginia creeper in the nineteenth century. 

The centre of this part of the garden with its magnificent plantings has a tripartite parterre de broderie arranged around an octagonal pool, a design that only came to light at the end of the 1990s and has since been reconstructed. Its intricate patterns consist of box and bedding plants interspersed with coarse varicoloured sands. Around 1770 the parterre de broderie was replaced with a parterre à l’anglaise, as in the Great Parterre, probably as a result of changing fashions in garden design.

Naiad Fountains
Schönbrunn Palace Mobile App


Mobile App