Columbary

Tour through the Park

Built at some time between 1750 and 1776, the Columbary or dovecote is a tall, circular aviary constructed of wire mesh with a dome-like copper roof crowned by a lantern-like structure.

Restoration

Four walled alcoves were added to provide the doves with roosting space. The system of circular and radial paths around the Columbary was laid out around 1760 and is known traditionally as the 'Schönbrunn Merry-go-round'.

In 2009/2010 the Columbary was completely renovated by the Schloss Schönbrunn Kultur-und BetriebsgesmbH. Now pigeons are back in the magnificent aviary. The columbary is maintained by the Vienna Zoo.

Schönbrunner Bad
Fair Spring
Schönbrunn Palace Mobile App

Schönbrunn

Mobile App