The Association of European Royal Residences
Since 2001, the institutions in charge of the most prestigious Palace Museums in Europe have come together to form the Association of European Royal Residences (ARRE). The Association enables them to work together and to share their knowledge and experience in the preservation and promotion of the rich cultural heritage in their care, to the benefit of the millions of visitors they receive each year.
ARRE’s goal is to develop and manage the network of European royal residences, notably by organising experience-sharing and training activities, as well as partnership, promotional, co-production and co-editing projects.
The first project Heritage and History (2002-2004), co-financed by the European Commission Culture 2000 programme, gave the members of the Association the opportunity to get to know one another better, to create synergies and to identify their common goals.
In order to intensify this cooperation and contribute to bringing European cultural identity to life, the network’s activities have three objectives:
- Improving the access of Europeans to their shared history.
- Raising the awareness of European citizens to the importance of preserving their common heritage.
- Developing “good practices” and “new experiences” in the areas of cultural tourism, receiving the public and site management.
Current membership of the ARRE, which has its headquarters at the Palace of Versailles, comprises sixty royal residences in thirteen European countries. The official languages of the Association are French and English.
Institutions members of the Network
- Stiftung Preussische Schlösser und Gärten Berlin-Brandenburg, Germany
- Schloss Schönbrunn Kultur- und Betriebsges.m.b.H., Austria
- Palais de Charles Quint asbl, Belgium
- De Danske Kongers Kronologiske saml Rosenborg Slot, Denmark
- Patrimonio Nacional, Spain
- Établissement Public du musée et du domaine national de Versailles, France
- Établissement public du domaine national de Chambord, France
- Gödöllöi Királyi Kastély Kht, Hungary
- Regione Piemonte (Direzione Beni Culturali), Italy
- Ministerio beni e attivita’ culturali, Italy
- Paleis Het Loo Nationaal Museum, The Netherlands
- Muzeum Palac w Wilanowie, Poland
- Palácio Nacional de Mafra, Portugal
- Historic Royal Palaces, United Kingdom
- Royal Collections Kungl. Slottet, Sweden.
- Peterhof State Museum Reserve, Russia