Loading...


Skipnavigation


Teaser


Teasermenü


Hauptmenü


Klickpfad


Seiteninhalt

Hauptinhalt

Palm House

The Palm House
The Palm House
Roof of the Palm House
Roof of the Palm House

The Palm House is located on the site of the former Dutch Garden and was erected in 1881/2 to designs by Franz Xaver Segenschmid. One hundred and thirteen metres long, the Palm House consists of a 28-metre high central pavilion and two lateral pavilions which are three metres lower. Linked by tunnel-like passages, the pavilions contain different climatic zones: a 'cold' house to the north, a temperate zone in the central pavilion and a tropical climate in the south pavilion. The necessary temperatures are achieved by means of a steam heating system which means that rare specimens from all over the world can be grown here.

This impressive iron construction used the most modern technology of its time, with the materials determining its form. The proportions of the convex and concave lines of the central and lateral pavilions are perfectly balanced and endow the iron structure with a perceptible lightness despite its massive dimensions. Inserted into the framework of the external iron construction, the glazing clings to the curved iron girders like a skin.

The Schönbrunn Palm House was the last of its type to be constructed in continental Europe.

Further information about the Palm House (opening hours, admission charges etc.) as well as the park and the plants it contains can be obtained from the Bundesgärten Wien_Innsbruck.

 

Bookmark and share


Seiten-Fußbereich

KalenderFacebookTwitterPinItGoogle Cultural Institute